Click on the logo above to enrol in the next available course
Tackers 1 & 2 Learn to Sail Programs
Tackers is a fun, introductory, games-based sailing program designed for kids aged 7-12 years, delivered at recognised Tackers Clubs. Kids don’t need to have any sailing experience or club membership to participate. All the equipment, including the boats, is provided.
In Tackers 1 – Having Fun, kids sail in pairs in small boats. It’s a great way to meet new friends and kids have the chance to sail with others in their group.
The next stage is Tackers 2 – Tricks & Techniques, when kids are confident they can sail a boat on their own with lots of support, supervision and encouragement from the Instructor and Assistant Instructors. Tackers 2 often follows the completion of Tackers 1, but can be a start point for children with some sailing experience.
Session Times: Tackers 1 – 9:30am to 15:00pm 30th January – 2nd February. Members price $150 Non-members price $250.
Tackers 2 – 9:30am to 15:00pm 22nd January – 25th January. Members price $150 Non-members price $250.
- – Parents are most welcome to stay and watch but equally, if they need to be elsewhere that’s fine. Their children will be VERY busy!
- – Tackers trainers are very skilled in games to take care of bad weather days. So the program will run regardless of the weather.
- – Participants should bring a wet-suit if they have one or warm clothes/thermals. They will get wet! Wetsuit boots or sports shoes. A hat and sun screen. A towel and warm clothes to change into.
About the programs:
Tackers 1 – Having Fun covers
- – Boat Handling (capsizing, steering, avoiding collisions, basic sailing);
- – Rules& Safety (life jackets, rescue drills, understanding basic right of way rules);
- – Sailing Theory (wind direction, wind strength, basic sailing theory, care of boats on the water.)
Tackers 2 – Tricks and Techniques covers
- – Boat Handling (sailing upwind, gybing safely, use the tiller extension, downwind sailing with centreboard up)
- – Rules & Safety (capsize and recover unassisted, demonstrate rules of the road)
- – Sailing Theory & Background (rig your boat, more sailing terminology, wind awareness)